Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Soup for a cold day! Yummo!!!!

I wanted to share this great soup recipe. I made it tonight, which was great because it's snowy and cold outside so warm soup on a night like tonight is just PERFECT!! I think you'll really like it too! I did make some minor changes from the original recipe but either way it's really good!

POTATO CHOWDER
(Here is the original recipe and my changes will be listed below)

8 cups diced potatoes
1/3 cup chopped onion
3 cans (14 1/2oz each) chicken broth
1 can (10 3/4oz) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, cubed
1/2 lb sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled, optional
snipped chives, optional

In a slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until potatoes are tender. Add cream cheese; stir until blended. Garnish with bacon and chives if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts)

* I added 3 carrots and about 4 green onions. Also I used 2 cans chicken broth and 1 can vegetable broth. If you put the slow cooker on high it should only take about 5 hours and add the cream cheese 30 minutes before the end of cooking. Just be sure that the carrots and potatoes are soft. If you cut the carrots to be about the same size as the potatoes they should cook withing the time frame listed. Let me know what you think of this recipe. We really liked it and I will make it again!

No comments: